Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Wonderful Wasted Hour



This was one of those weekends that you’ll forget in a month but was truly wonderful. The sun shone most of the time and my husband and I really enjoyed ourselves booping around the yard and garden (well I enjoyed myself, he found himself with a pitch fork and a bucket picking up greyhound droppings, all with a smile on his face!—he’s a really great guy, haha). I FINALLY got my cauliflower into the raised bed. With any luck and a little bit of patience it will bounce back. It was looking really tired and droopy for a moment. I read on some forum somewhere that if you planted its long leg down into the dirt then usually it would recover well enough. I will keep you all updated on how it does. If it does anything close to as well as the cabbage did when we transplanted it, then we are golden.

Since we put the onion and lettuce in a week ago I have been checking almost nonstop to see SOME sign of life. All I’m getting are chives returning from some past planting season many years ago. LEAVE ME ALONE CHIVES! They smell which makes them wayyyy worse than weeds!

We had to drive 30 minutes to find some 4” plastic pots! Outrageous, considering there are about a million garden supply stores in the Pittsburgh area. Maybe we just weren’t looking in the right places? Not sure! Either way, we decided to drive out t o a Tractor Supply store because we were pretty sure that they’d have SOMETHING (ANYTHING) close to what we needed without being a million dollars. We were wrong; but, thankfully we passed a cute little family owned Garden and Feed Supply store instead, and they had what we needed a great price. It felt good SO good spending our money there that we also bought their kitty litter… seems stupid. It just feels really good to know that I’m buying from a local family. Regardless of the fact that our truck drinks gasoline like its water, my husband (Adam) and I had a great time on our mini-excursion. We planned our future for the 900th time and reminisced about how we got to where we are now. Those small and insignificant moments are some of my favorites.

When we finally got back to the house it was after lunch so we had to get the tomatoes started if we had any hopes of finishing. We pulled the little guys apart one-by-one and ended up with an ungodly amount of tomato plants. We will be canning, giving away, and freezing enough tomatoes to feed the western hemisphere. I have made a mental note to seriously consider how many plants five packets of seeds can supply.

Along with our countless tomatoes, we also have zucchini; yellow and butternut squash; celery; our own chives; eggplant; green, red, jalapeno, and Hungarian Hot Wax pepper; cabbage; and cauliflower gracing us with their presence. It feels amazing knowing that Adam and I are nursing these little seedlings to life. Life is good right now, really good.
Next stop… 
till the rest of the garden.
God help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment